Tuesday 21 September 2010

Leaving Singapore

Yesterday was my last day in Singapore. I'd done most pretty much most of the things I wanted to do and seen most of the things I wanted to see. I needed to check out of the Madras Hotel at midday so I had a bit of a lie in and then got my things packed up ready to leave. I'd had a nice time there but to be quite honest Five days and four nights was quite sufficient.

I was a glorious morning, much like the day before, bright sunshine and as hot as an oven.

I checked out of the hotel at midday and made my way to the harbour front for a coffee and a pasty. I left my luggage at the hotel.. My three day travel pass had expired at midnight the day before, my pockets were full of coins so rather than buy a new pass I would use these for my travel budget, apart from anything else, they were spoiling the cut of my cargo pants..

I had to be at the railway station at 10.00 pm so I had plenty of time. My only 'must do' was to collect my shirts and trousers from the ' Raffles Creative Tailors' in China Town after three o'clock.

After the harbour front I headed towards China Town for a couple of hours, I sat at a couple of street cages and had orange juice, I was conscious that I had perhaps not been drinking enough fluids (of the non alcoholic variety) and that was probably one of the causes of the upset tummy. Late in the afternoon the weather broke and one again I was treated to torrential rain and a tropical rainstorm, fortunately this one didn't last long. I had left my waterproof in my rucksack at the hotel. At least the rain was warm.

Dodging between the rain I stopped of at another cafe for a peking duck roll and a pineapple juice, beautiful...









Delicious....

At around four I called in to collect my two pairs of trousers and two shirts and had a drink with Simon, the super sales person. I was very impressed with the workmanship.

Today I guess I must have exchanged my 'savvy travellers head' for my 'no fucking sense of direction head' after lunch I thought I would go off the beaten track and explore some of the lesser side streets of China Town, I was so distracted within about 30 minutes I was hopelessly lost and pen the next hour extricating myself from the maze of little side streets with little success. Eventually I made my way to the main road and stumbled across the MRT station. This was a bit of a pisser as I had intended to have a cut throat shave and Indian head massage when I got back to little India and now I would not have enough time.

By seven I was back in Little India, time for a beer in one of the backpacker bars and a bite to eat before heading off to the station.




























Sights from Little India on my last night in Singapore.

On my first night I had a wonderfully authentic Indian meal at one of the roadside cafes and the beer was about half the price than the backpackers bar so I took a seat at the star cafe and ordered chicken curry, rice and a roti. And a large beer.
After a second beer and feeling a little squiffy I headed back to the hotel to pick up my rucksack and then on to the MRT.

I needed to take the Metro to Outram Park then a short cab ride to the railway station at Kepple Road.

All the metro stations have several exits and I chose the wrong one. By sense of judgement was obviously impaired by the beers I had drunk earlier in the evening and rather than going back to find the correct exit I decided to carry on.

And carry on and carry on. One again the 'no sense of direction head was on charge and once again, after about 20 minutes carrying about 20k of luggage on my back I was sweating like a bacon pig and hopelessly lost. Even that didn't deter me, I soldiered on, only after about 40 mins did I decide it might be a good idea to hail a cab. The first one that was free stopped and asked where I was going.

'Kepple Street Railway Station'

He looked at me strangely

' it's 5 minutes walk, just down that road'

I breathed a sigh of relief, thanked him and headed in the the said direction. Through a rather intimidating housing complex and then an industrial estate. I did have visions of getting mugger and murdered!

By this time I was absolutely soaking wet through, then in the distance, the railway station. Great I thought, just saved myself 10 dollars taxi fare!

Given the amazing infrastructure in Singapore the railway station is a huge disappointment. It does have a very attractive colonial look to the outside by once inside it is tatty. There are just two platforms. One for departures and one for arrivals. I picked up an immigration form, completed it then went and bought two bottles of water to replenish the fluids I had just sweated out on my latest adventure.



























Inside Kepple St station. Singapore.

At 10pm we were called to board. I think I was the only white face on the train. Before actually getting on the train passports and immigration papers were inspected and we were allowed onto the platform and train.
Because train travel is so cheap in South East Asia I had chosen a premier deluxe sleeper. A room to myself, complete with WiFi, television and shower. Well, i'm clearly not a proper backpacker !


















My sleeper on the train from Singapore to KL
I think the trains are quite old and starting to look a little tatty but the linen was clean and it was quite nice.








Queuing to get through immigration









My carriage awaits

The train pulled out of Singapore station bang on 10.30. After about 30 mins the train pulled into Woodlands and we all had to disembark to pass through the passport control. A short wait and back on the train for the onward journey. I was presented with a towel, soap, shaver and toothbrush by a steward and then settled down for the night. It was really quite relaxing with the movement on the train. That said, I didn't get much sleep. It was so cold. There appears to be this thing that if it's hot outside I'll make it as cold as I possible can inside. This happens I. The Malls with the Air Con, the hotel and now the train. I slept in my clothes! Next time I visit I shall pack my winter woollies for the time I spend inside!

I must have drifted off to sleep at some as I was awoken at 6.00 with a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of delicious banana cake. We were to arrive in KL in 30 minutes. No time for a shower so I did the next best thing. A bed bath with boots wet wipes. Did the trick, brushed my teeth and was set for the next part of the journey. Kuala Lumpur to Butterworth.









KL sentral at 6.30 in the morning.

I had not purchased my ticket to Butterworth yet, I could have got it in Singapore but would have had to pay in Singapore dollars and it made it around double the price. 'every little helps'.

I kept up my extravagant travel arrangements by travelling first class on then train to Butterworth. It cost around £15 for the six hour journey. Once again the train interior had seen better days but I got a wide reclining seat with footrest, a bottle of water and another slice of delicious banana cake. There was also a socket to charge my phone and iPad.









Inside a first class carriage

It was a fascinating journey passing through the suburbs of KL then into the jungle areas, interspersed with towns and villages. Most of towns had fantastic Hindu temples and mosques with you could see fro the train. You could also see quite a lot of shanty towns by the trackside, something I had not associated with Malaysia.
It was a wonderful journey through the North Peninsular of Malaysia. Passing through jungle, seeing the exotic flowers, butterflies and birds. Quaint stations , long horned cows rolling in mud.
It looks as though they are building a new track adjacent to the existing one, most of the way there was evidence of construction work.
Christ knows when it will be finished, most of the construction workers appeared to be either chatting or sleeping...

Only feedback to KTM, the rail company is:-

Turn the air con down a bit, it was freezing!
Ask the driver if it is really necessary to honk his horn every 2 minutes for eight hours.

The loo was an experience, you could see the track. At least it was warmer than the carriage!

The train made quite a few stops on route. We were due to arrive in Butterworth at 3.00pm. From there it is a short ferry ride to the Malaysian island of Penang and Georgetown, my next stop for a couple of nights.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Lorong Baru,George Town,Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment