Wednesday 15 September 2010

A few days in Miri

Saturday night was a great party. Sunday should have been write off but I was out of bed at 10.00am yomping across the camp site in 35 degrees and 100% humidity feeling like a bear had beat me up and shit in my mouth.

As is usual, it felt like such a good idea at the time, as is usual, in the cold light of day the Beer, Champagne, wine, vodka and gin was paying me back. Big time...

The party was Lesley's friend, Karen's 40th birthday and was to be hosted at the camp boat club.
Met some lovely people, many who I'd met on my previous trip.and plenty of new folk. The ex-pats life seems sweet.
It was great getting to know the kids again. Not so great when Finlay jumped on my bed at 10.00am sunday morning saying we were going for a walk!
After the walk Bill, Fin and I went out for breakfast and to get Fin his birthday gift from 'uncle steve' I had not wised up and Fin had not told me that I had been here since his last Birthday, why would he tell me.... I wouldn't!. We settled on a toy story 3 thingy and he was as happy as a sandboy









Fin playing doctors....

In the afternoon we had a traditional Sunday lunch, a couple of the teachers joined us. As one might suspect, after a skin full of alcohol the previous night, I was not in a drinking mood and was in bed by 9.30. The ecstasy of sleeping was short lived. By midnight I was wide awake again... Shit......jet lag.......

Little Emily, my new niece is just the sweetest kid, She is a Chinese Malaysian and Lesley is really mischievous out, as people appear to be intrigued seeing a European with an Malay baby. We went shopping in town, coffee at Starbucks, lunch at sushi king.








Emily Grace Dillon, the latest addition to the family

My part time job here is resident IT expert, it took a few hours during the day to upgrade Ross's iPod Touch so he was happy.
This time I did sleep. Thank god....

Tuesday I was up with the Kids for breakfast, Lesley had planned to take me for a full body massage, she left me there while she went shopping. It was bliss...
Not that I have ever visited one, but the place looks rather like a brothel. On arrival I was given a cup of green tea and asked what oil I would prefer. I had had Jasmine on my last trip so plumped for Citrus oil. I was then led into another room to get changed. On the massage table was a sarong and a pair of paper pants. As I undressed I did wonder, how the fuck am I going to get into those pants?
I doubt that they would have fitted an action man doll, nevertheless, I had a bloody good go, I squeezed myself into them. I then dutifully put the sarong around my waist and sat on the bed awaiting my treatment.

It was bliss, aside the fact that I had slept so little in the last few days I was soon drifting off to sleep as I was gently pummelled to a pulp.

'too small" She said, referring to the paper underpants (I hope) as she massaged my buttocks.

'too fucking right' I thought.... My bollocks are sitting just below my tonsils...

Despite that minor discomfort the massage was just perfect...

For lunch we visited street restaurant in Lutong, just outside Miri. I have eaten there in the past and it is just the best Indian food ever, and very cheap.

Lesley's friend, Karen the Australian birthday girl had her sister and partner,Bret visiting for a few days. They were leaving on Wednesday to head back to Perth via KL.
We all went out for dinner and had a loverly evening. Bed by midnight and a fairly good nights sleep.

My last day in Borneo for a month was relaxing. A manicure and pedicure. Lunch of noodles and duck, a long walk on the beach....


















Lunch in Miri.....

It all starts tomorrow for real, a month touring as a backpacker.
I leave Miri airport for KL at 10.00 then an onward flight to Singapore. I have booked a budget hotel in Little India where I will be staying for a couple of days...






A long walk on the beach in Miri, Borneo.
Bring it on.......



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Miri,Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment