Thursday 9 September 2010

Kuala Lumpur - first day

If the flight from Manchester to Dubai was a dream (which it was) then the flight from Dubai to KL was a nightmare.

For a start the plane was packed (how dare they sell all the tickets!,). Some people seem to attract the local nutters on buses. I seem to attract those who think they have bought a fully reclining seat and want to place themselves in my lap.
For the whole trip, seven hours and 35 minutes, I was squished in my seat while this inconsiderate woman played poker on her seat-back entertainment system from an almost horizontal position. Mine was broken, it was just flapping there in my lap! I had to wedge my folded up menu so I could see anything.
The food was shit, not that I could get it into my mouth such was the lack of space. Usually it is flying etiquette to at least raise your seat a little during mealtimes and the Cabin Crew assist in this. Not this time, cabin crew were not particularly attentive at all. There were also dozens of babies on the flight who also decided a crying chorus would add to the inflight entertainment. Thank god I had bought some ear plugs at Manchester. They were unceremoniously rammed straight in.

I'm fuckin' grumpy!

Lack of sleep, lack of nicotine, lack of personal space, although I guess if this is the most uncomfortable I get in the next 3 months, I will have done well!!!!

But I'm still fucking grumpy!

When originally planning the trip I had all sorts of plans.
One of those was to only book into hotels or use companies that were local so my money goes back into the local economy.

It is with regret that I have to confess that I have fallen at the first hurdle (that's if you don't count the wine on the flight to Dubai).
I will be staying at Traders Hotel tonight and Friday.
I'll do the sustainability bollocks later, I have plenty of time.

The magic of the inter web knows no bounds. In my dressing gown at 2am, the night before I left, I actually booked the train from KL international Airport to KL Sentral railway station.

I have done a considerable amount of research around the countries that I will be visiting over the next few months. One thing that was consistent was the need to protect oneself from mugging and street crime. This is essentially a back packing trip. I have brought as little as possible in terms of clothes but I do have my Camera and iPad together with cash, credit card and passport which I would rather not have pass into the hands of the South East Asian criminal fraternity.

There are several products on the market aimed at protection of one's personal belongings. As usual, I went overboard. In the end I purchased three, what are known as PacSafe products.

1) A product that allows you to tether your backpack to something that is static hopefully preventing it from being stolen while you are not there. The 'tethering' cord is reinforced steel cable!

2) A product that, again is reinforced steel cable in the form of a net into which you place your backpack and secure to said 'tethering' cord above.

3) A product that's purpose is to protect your passport, money etc. It is an elongated wallet type affair that you sling around your neck. The cord is again reinforced steel cable claiming to be 'slash proof'.

I strongly suspect that, should I be unfortunate to become a victim of street crime that the said reinforced 'slash proof' cable will serve it's purpose well and not break, fracture or otherwise. I also strongly suspect that the BBC news will carry the story of a 50 something year old British tourist decapitated by a South East Asian bag snatcher.

It remains to be seen whether I make use of these security products. It seemed such a sensible idea at the time. But then, a bottle of red and access to e-bay don't mix too well sometimes..

The transfer through the massive KL airport was smooth and I headed for the express train to KL Sentral station and then a taxi to the traders hotel.

I know a few people who have stayed there and in UK terms it is very reasonable for a 4 star, £130 for two nights.
The room is very nice, I did have to wait for over 60 minutes for my luggage and no WiFi in the room.

A quick freshen up and I'm out exploring.........



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Persiaran Petronas,Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment