Saturday 18 September 2010

First full day in Singapore

Getting up at 9.00 it was raining outside, not normal rain, stair rods....
I needed to get my ticket booked for the overnight sleeper to Penang on Saturday night, the only way I could do that was to go to the ticket counter at Kepple station. The on-line booking system was closed, the e-mail reservations had given me an 'out of office - we get 300 requests a day' response. (more staff could be a solution- especially as your on-line system is broken)
The call centre ringing no reply (could be because your e-mail reservations give an Out of Office and your on-line system is closed!)

I decided to stay put until the rain had eased, normally the showers (shower!!) in the tropics are short lived but by 11.00 it was not easing so I decided to make a move. Donning my Adidas waterproof I made my way to the Little India MRT station in the pouring rain.

The main railway station in Singapore is Kepple Station, a fabulous old colonial building.



Despite the efficient public transport system in Singapore, there is no easy way to get to the station. Consequently I got off at the nearest station and then took a 10 min taxi ride to the ticket office. By the time I got to the station, the rain had eased, taking off my water proof I found that, due to the heat and the humidity, I was wetter on the inside than I would ever have been if I had just gone out in a T-shirt.

Despite it's grand exterior, the inside was rather disappointing. There were no queues at the ticket office, there were also no tickets! The next available sleeper was on the Monday evening, no worries, I'm on a timetable but there is some flex in it.

There is a strange system in Singapore, Tickets are priced in Malaysian Ringet but if you are starting your journey in Singapore you have to pay the equivalent in Singapore Dollars making it roughly double. There are ways around this but, it involves going over the border and a lot of faffing around. For the sake of saving £25 it just wasn't worth it. If you ever do the trip though, only buy the Singapore to KL leg in Singapore and get the tickets for then rest of the journey in KL.

After purchasing my ticket I grabbed a cab to the MRT and then down to the waterfront, across the river is an island, Sentosa, which is basically a big theme island with universal studios, rides etc. I did not intend visiting but it was worth a look, a quick coffee, watched a big cruise ship dock and then on to China Town.



Sentosa in the distance across from the Waterfront

Alighting at China Town, I took the opportunity to buy a three day travel pass for the MRT. At $24 they are excellent value. You pay an additional $10 but this is refunded when you return the card.

I had no sooner exited the station when a very friendly chappy caught my eye and said Hi. Within a few minutes he was showing me the way to the main sights of China Town.

I have travelled a lot and usually start my time away as a naive traveller, quickly becoming a very savvy traveller. I am early into my trip and had my 'naive' head on. As in was chatting to 'Simon' he asked me where I was from, what I did for a living, where I was travelling to, the usual banter. I was thinking 'what a friendly,helpful chap'

It was not until I asked him what he did it dawned on me... Quelle surprise we were on our way to his tailors shop and, being one of the easiest people I know to sell to, quell surprise, I exited his tailors shop half an hour later having been measured up for two pairs of cargo pants and two safari shirts.
To be fair, they were a good price and the quality of the materials was excellent but they were not on my agenda!!

He was an excellent salesman, chasing me down the road twice,once offering me good quality jewellery and then, when I took my camera out to take a picture, offering to introduce me to his friend who could part exchange my Canon EOS for a better model at a 'very good price, sir'
I declined courteously, removed my 'Naive Traveller' head and replaced it with my 'Savvy Traveller' head.

I spent the whole afternoon in China town, wandering around the market stalls, visiting a Chinese Buddhist temple and then an Indian Hindu temple.

The Hindu temple was fascinating, I had to pay a couple of dollars to take pictures but it was well worth it.


China Town by day






Indian Hindu temple in China Town.

The Chinese Buddhist temple was absolutely awesome. On five levels there were Buddah's everywhere. On the fourth level was a room which had what must be millions of pounds worth of gold. Unfortunately no photographs were allowed in that particular room









Photo's from the Chinese Buddhist temple.

Before heading back to the hotel I stopped for a beer in a roadside bar. I was planning on coming back tonight to see China Town in the evening.

Back at the hotel I logged onto the Internet and booked my hotel for a couple of nights in Penang.

I headed back to China Town in the evening. Although there are loads of similarities between China Town in Singapore and China Town in KL, the one big difference is there was a distinct lack of fake bags, watches and clothing. After a wander round the markets, a couple of beers and dinner of fried rice and satay I headed back to my hotel. Having a couple more days here I had booked the same place for Saturday and Sunday evening.








Unlike China Town in KL, most of the stalls were packing up as I headed back to the MRT. I was in bed by 11.00 earplugs in and didn't wake till 10.00 on Saturday morning.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Madras St,Singapore,Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment