Monday 29 August 2011

Weekend charity dinner.

It's been an interesting week. Here I am, Saturday lunchtime sitting in my favourite coffee shop, a lovely morning, no rain, nursing a bit of a hangover.
Last night was the Nepal Children's Home launch event. It was great event, very successful by all accounts with around 200 people attending. We were all given a job. I was the official photographer...
The food was excellent, the beer was reasonable and the entertainment was... Well ... Er different..

After lessons of friday I headed into town. Met one of the other volunteers at the monkey temple and took a bus into the office. Bhupi had asked that we all go down before the event. It was a bit of a waste of time. There is a certain undercurrent of disorganisation in Nepal. It reigns everywhere. Jobs were allocated. Crazy jobs,including someone sitting by the bar and recording how many drinks were sold (VIN were getting half the margin for the evening) someone even had the job of watching if anyone was pissed and then guiding them away and out of trouble....

My brochure was finished. Unfortunately someone had messed around and there were bits of text missing and some typo's

Once the jobs had been allocated, I together with a few of the other volunteer made our way on foot to the Hotel Premium. I was so much looking forward to my hot shower. It's no big deal not having hot water but you do have a feeling of constant "grubbiness' only another 6 weeks to go.

I had had the foresight to book my room last week. Some of the other volunteers had not and were disappointed. My room was actually nicer than the last one. Not hard, but welcome. The shower was perfect. Small things.....

I really didn't know what to expect of the charity dinner. Apparently about 200 tickets had been sold. We arrived at 4:30, the kick off was 5:30 but that was Nepali time. The venue was cool. A three star hotel not far from the Premium Hotel. Snacks were served, they were delicious, probably the best food I've had since arriving and the main buffet was yet to come.

Eventually, at 6:30 it kicked off, not before a big black car had swept into the car park. A Nepali flag on the front and an armed solider had jumped out. Apparently this was a government minister. The first part of the evening was a presentation. The VIN story and update on the projects. After that they went through the plans for the children's home. The minister had a slot too. Of course it was all in Nepali but sounded very passionate. I was sitting with one of the advisors. She enlightened me that this was a party political speech and the minister was using the event as a platform. No mention of VIN.

Raffle tickets were on sale and guess what? I won! When I went go collect my prize was told by Dinesh 'you will get it later' I suspect not. It was only 100 rp for the two tickets but it was still a bit cheeky of him...

After the official speeches were over, it was time for the entertainment. Unusual to say the least. A 'comedy' act and then the equivalent of a 'cabaret' act. Theme Ali can drink. Most tables had a bottle of spirits. Bhupi and Dinesh also seemed to enjoy a drink. The food was great. A selection of nepali traditional dishes which seemed to go down very well. Everyone's plates were piled high . I met the architect of the home, a young, recently qualified chap who had made a great job.

At the end of the evening there was dancing. It would have been rude not to join in. All in all it was a great evening. I had a couple of beers and certain he noted myself .

The evening was over by 10:00, I Maria walked home, she was staying at one of the nuns' homes and was worried about walking on her own. Don't blame her. I was back at the hotel and in bed by 11:00.

I had a lie in.... 11:45. A fruit juice at the usual place.
"how much today" I asked.
"how much will you pay " was the quick response.

I think he got the message that as a regular, if he continues to rip me off I will become an ex customer. We agreed 70rp.
Coffee at the Java Himalaya coffee house then lunch at he Food bazaar opposite. I made a bad choice. A mixed curry which consisted of a few chicken bones, some dhaal Bhat and some veg. Not brilliant and nearly as expensive as the lovely chicken tikka masala and about three times as expensive as the lovely veg curry I have come to know and love from my 'local' I know for next time!

After a couple of hours I headed back to the hotel. I had already checked out. My laundry wouldn't be ready till later so I agreed to collect it the next day. I'm beginning to think that I will sling (nay burn) most of my clothes when I leave. Each visit to the laundry leaves them looking slightly less attractive. The whites are now grey and the colours are looking decidedly worse for wear. Good job I brought cheap stuff...

I was back at the monastery by 6:30 and doing my prep for the following days lessons. No rest for the teacher.......


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ring Rd,Kathmandu,Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment