Monday 22 August 2011

Busy, Busy , Busy

Day three in the monastery house......
Awake again by the gong at 4:30, actually, it's quite cool. A really nice and gradual way to wake up. Perhaps not so early mind, but then. I'm not exactly having late nights....

From the balcony I watched assembly, it was really amusing. Most were on time but those that weren't, and they came running across the yard to a crack on the head by one of the elder monks. You could see they were used to it...





















Lessons at 7:20 and 8:55 today. I got there 10 minutes earlier than start time. For some reason Class 1 were I'm a particularly boisterous mood. Lesson went well. Actually a bit too well, can't help feel that they have been holding out on me....


















We started with a bit of a game, smiley, sad, happy faces. It went well, sort of till they started slinging the balls at each other. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that this type of game is a bit difficult to manage with at least 32 kids in a room that is exactly the size of my bedroom.....

The second lesson (and I'd been told to expect this) didn't go quite to plan. I'd expected to do a bit of revision on the previous lesson from Friday. And planned the lesson around that. As I came out of the classroom I was asked to take class three rather than class two. I quickly had to think about what to do with the spare 10 mins I just had gained. You can't revise something they hadn't done yet!!!no worries. We got by.

After class wandered to the office to ask if I could get another big bottle of water. (those that you use for water fountains in offices....) there was still no running water. In was actually quite resigned to it now, whether I'll be resigned to it in 2 months, I'm not quite sure....

I couldn't have made myself understood as I got an empty bottle. I had noticed a big tank in the courtyard. I took my bottle, and half filled it with water. I'll fill my bucket and them get some more later.

After class, I went to my favourite cafe, good coffee and Internet access. Alas, it was closed on Sunday's. Fuck!!!

I did find a very poor alternative. Nice chapati and omelette and a milky coffee. Back to my room, a small nap, a read, made some flashcards for tomorrow's lesson. Then out for a wander and to pop in the stationers to pick up my order. It had arrived. I also bought a few other thinks I would use for the games and the warmers...
As I was coming back a couple of the kids were handing money through the railings to the woman who had the shop across the road. The giggled when they saw me. Caught red handed!!!












Later afternoon, and it was a glorious day, I sat in the courtyard and chatted to the kids and a couple of the older monks. Really friendly. They were fascinated with my tattoo.

Great day.... Again.





Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Karma Samte Ling Monastery. Kathmandu.

No comments:

Post a Comment