Wednesday 24 August 2011

Mrs Frumpy Bitch....

I live my refuge in the monastery. But I also love my refuge in the local cafe. I've spent hours here, chewing the fat with other travellers and volunteers. The coffee is good, I've not tried the beer yet, it's only a matter of time, I'm sure.

Yesterday I had my teaching shift changed so got to stay in bed till 8:00 this morning Little did I know the fuss it would cause.....

Monday was good, lessons went well. The first class is always a challenge as they are the youngest, a big spread of ability and all they want to do us watch the Ipad. I've downloaded a few cartoons. We watch it. I write up questions, then we watch it again. Great fun. In fact it worked so well I changed my plan and did it for all three lessons. Result. I've now got two lessons saved for later in the week.

After class, I tend to wander to my cafe and have breakfast, coffee and chill. Monday was different though. I got a text from the office, "could I go there now" to finalise the brochure for Fridays charity launch dinner for the children's home. I jumped on a 'micro bus' and headed down. We did get it finished but not before a degree of anxiety with the constant changes. The monastery closes it's gates at 8:00. At 8:05, despite promising myself I wouldn't do it ever again, I was jumping in the back of Bhupi's bike and weaving through the still busy streets onto the ring road, back to the monastery. Not wise but unavoidable if I wanted a bed for the night. We got there with only seconds to spare.

Tuesday was good, once again good lessons. Amusing, we were doing 'what' and ' how many' having watched a cartoon.
"how many gold coins did jake collect"
"two" was the shout, correct answer.
What is the name of jakes parrot"
"two" ....... Oh well.
"how many = number"
"what = name"
I think we got there.... So fir a nice breakfast of eggs and toast and a good cup of coffee. Back to the office on the bus. We hadn't gone more than a mile when we were back ended and shunted 10 metres down the road. It was bound to happen, given the appalling driving and poor road sense of everyone in Kathmandu. Fortunately, no injuries although watching the conductor trying to get fares from us all as we left the bus to get on a working model was entertaining. It was never going to happen and I suspect I was witness to some very choice Nepali language....

I did get back at a reasonable hour. I made sure by leaving when most of the staff left and travelling with one of the girls. It was just before 5:30 when I pulled up outside Monkey Temple, just across the road from Samate Ling. Popped into the cafe for some veg samosa and a sprite. I've decided to make more of a healthy effort with the food. Most has been fried. Not good, from tomorrow.....

On to today, a good nights sleep, a lie in and lessons from 8:45 to 11:30. Sounds good I was 10 minutes into my lesson when a frumpy woman burst in. She was a volunteer and made out that she had an arrangement for five years. "we need to talk" she said. "We can talk at break" I replied. She didn't appear at break but did collar me before my last lesson, also claiming this was her lesson. She was really rude. It turns out this was her first day and her and her friend thought they were doing the lessons I was taking. I had no issue, I will go back to doing the early shift...

I laughed with the resident teacher later as we agreed I would go back to the original schedule. I'm sure this wouldn't satisfy the frumpy bitch. She said too many English lessons would confuse them. My view, you can't have too many English lessons.

I didn't have any food when I'd finished, I'd arranged to give one of the girls English lessons at the office do took an event free journey towards town.

The lesson went well. Writing and reading English was the objective.
I was in the cafe at 4:30 and enjoying my new non fried regime of a veg curry and sone beautiful little rolls. I treated myself to a beer... Half way through the week and all that ...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Ring Rd,Kathmandu,Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment