Thursday 7 April 2011

Big Buddha via a crystal cabin.....

Today I will be having another touristy day, actually, unless you have a lot of money and enjoy shopping there is not a great deal more to do in Hong Kong unless of course Disney Land takes your fancy.

As you fly into the 'newish' airport, if the weather is kind you get a nice view of 'Big Buddha' or 'Big Bugger' as Finlay calls it, he has a problem, with his 'G's'

This was a. Train journey fro. Kowloon, in fact it is pretty much the same train as goes to the airport so the day sorry of doubles up as a dry run as I need to be up quite early to or row to get to Bangkok via KL

Once at the destination train station you have a number of options to get to the 'Big Bugger' one is walking, another is by bus and a third is o. The rather spectacular cable car ride. From then square outside the railway station you can't actually see the end of it. I immediately dismissed the walking, it's a four hour hike with quite a few hills. I would go for the cable car. But first, I spotted a Subway, I wasn't greedy. Just a 6 inch Italian today .... Hmmm


Once I'd devoured my 6 inch Italian I joined the queue for the cable car. I was a long one. About an hours wait. That said, it was worth the wait. I was feeling a bit flush and went for the 'crystal cabin ' option. Only one in fournof the cabins were crystal. And they had a glass floor so you could see how far you would fall if it crashed. All for only 10HKD extra. But there were additional benefits..

Once at the 'Big Bugger' it was a little disappointing, I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was rather like a theme park. The ride on the cable car was actually quite spectacular, if only to reinforce what a foolish decision it would have been to walk. The height gave spectacular views of the Hong Kong airport and really put into some perspective what an engineering feat it was to claim the land from the sea.

I did the 'walk up and walk round the Buddha' the sun was I. The wrong direction so the pictures were crap. I also went to the nearby monastery and saw more massive joysticks and women gardeners manhandling HUGE pots on there own. After a couple of hours I had seen enough and wandered back. I had booked a return trip on the 'crystal cabin' and thank the lord I had. The queue to get here was over an hour but this queue was at least twice as long. But, the second benefit of the crystal cabin!!! Separate queue, and much shorter queue. Love it, felt like first class.

Thank god for the crystal cabin!

It's my last night in Hong Kong. I enjoyed it better than Singapore. There is more to see and it's not as 'clinical'
I celebrated the fact that I quite liked Hong Kong with another Indian at the New Deli Mess.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lantu, Hong Kong, China

No comments:

Post a Comment