Thursday 7 April 2011

The Best Laid Plans........ Again

I had booked a very nice (and cheap) boutique hotel near to Suvarnabhumi airport for the evening. I had an early flight to KL then a 7.00pm flight to Singapore.

One thing that is missing in KL are airport hotels. There are none that are within a reasonable distance or a reasonable price. This one was perfect. 10 mins from the airport. Lovely rooms. Rooftop bar and restaurant. Ding dong.

The taxi driver was obviously not au fait with the location. He got lost several times. And charged over the odds. To be fair, the hotel do offer a pick up free but I was too lazy to look for it.

I had a couple of beers and dinner at the rooftop terrace. 1:1 water service by a seriously smiley (verging on uncomfortably smiley) waiter. The food was good (what can you do to spoil chicken fried rice) and the beer was good. Early night as airport transfer (free this time) at 6.00am

Lesley, Billy and the kids had been on holiday in Ko Samui for a week. We had seen rain, but it had been far worse on the gulf of Thailand side,relentless.

I had followed the story on facebook and they were not having a good time. Ever optimistic, it would turn out OK, I was sure. On arriving in KL, I had a 5 hour wait before the flight to Singapore. I logged onto facebook. Ko Samui airport was closed and looker like staying close. There was no chance of them all getting out of Thailand. What should I do. I text Les. 'it's not going to happen - the first flight out us 1st April.....'
Bollocks. I had booked flights, actually two flights back as after looking at my itinerary the return flight to KL from Singapore was a bit close to catch the KL to Myamar flight on 31st. That was nothing though!!!!!

It was Billy's 60th Birthday on 30th. As a surprise she had booked them into the Mandarin Oriental, paid over £4.5k to fly Billy's two Older kids and their partners from the UK and booked a surprise lunch. All to no avail. By the ti e they got to Singapore the kids would have left. To cap it all my dad would also miss his Emirates return flight home. Disaster......

Les did offer for me to Singapore and stay in the Mandarin Oriental on their booking. I couldn't do it.....

I also missed meeting up with Martin for beer.

I cheered myself up (a bit) with KFC......
Then caught the bus to KL Sentral station..


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Kuala Lumpur. LCCT terminal. Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment