Thursday 7 April 2011

Another long day of walking, and walking, and walking.........

12 March 2011

Today, once again, I was mostly sightseeing...
From my little 'lonely planet' book I had mapped out a few places I wanted to see in Kowloon.
First though, I really did need to get something a bit warmer to wear. The weather was still chilly, especially at night and whe the sun was in during the day. A couple of long sleeved jumpers/sweatshirts would be just fine. Hong Kong is nothing if it's not good for shopping. I actually killed two birds with one stone my finding a MUJI store. This is Japanese stuff, quite reasonably priced so. It also sells stationary so I picked up a couple of notebooks to record my trip before putting it the blog.

Now for my tour. I started off by getting the MRT to Chi Lin Nunnery, this was quite close to the high rises yet an amazing serene feel about it. A beautiful pagoda and coy carp ponds. Despite t being nippy it was a really nice place to just sit and reflect. The next stop on the tour was the Sik Sik Yuen Tai Sin Temple - what a mouthful!. This was quite to opposite, An explosion of colours with quite the biggest joysticks I have ever seen I. My life. It is a very popular place with the locals for praying and also divining the future with ' chim', bamboo prediction sticks that are shaken to the ground then read.

Behind the temple are the Good Wish Gardens, so close to the noise yet really peaceful. Again, somewhere to sit down and reflect. I seem to be doing a lot of referring today!!

My last stop for the day was some walk, I followed my map and finally made it, hot and sticky despite the chill in the air, to the Kowloon Walled City. This is now a really pretty park but the walls that enclose the park were once the perimeter of a notorious village that was technically part of China through the British rule.

It seemed that anything went on there, prostitution, drug dealing, illegal dentists and. Gambling. It is well worth a visit and the story is provided in a brochure and via photographs on a covered walkway. It is only as recently as 1984 when The Hong Kong government acquired the seas and bulldozed the tenements.

It was a long day, very adequately finished off with a nice Indian meal. It is quite some time since I have enjoyed such good food in such an unusual location (and so cheap)

Chungking Mansions is a real mix, but aside the shops and the 'hotels' there are a number of very good Indian 'Mess' restaurants. I had spotted a couple of signs and saw trip advisor recommending one called the 'New Deli Mess'
Brilliant food, for the first time in Hong Kong I went to bed replete. Now their's a nice word!!!!!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Austin Rd West, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment