Friday 18 March 2011

A long day of walking

The rabbit hutch was surprisingly comfortable and I did have quite good nights sleep. Nothing to do with the Stella of course.

Today, I will mostly be sightseeing on Hong Kong island. I set out reasonably early. The Lonely Planet book suggested that the best way to get there was on the Star Ferry and went on to suggest that rather than go from the Star Ferry terminal at the end of the road there was another one a bit further around the coast. We i'm buggered if I could find it, I walked and walked and walked. To be fair I did get to see the 'Avenue of Stars' which was the Hong Kong equivalent of the one in LA. I only recognised two names, Bruce Lee and Jacky Chan!

Eventually I gave up up the ghost on this 'ghost' ferry terminal and headed back to the one at Tsim Sha Tsui. The ferry as a bargain at just 2.5 Hong Kong Dollars. The journey takes about 10 minutes and it an absolute must for anyone visiting Hong Kong. The sights of Hong Kong Island as you approach Central Pier are outstanding even though the visibility was not too good because of the smog.

I had planned where I wanted to go. I took the MTR railway to Sheung Wan. this district still carries the echo of 'Old Shanghai' with its traditional sops and old 'ladder streets', the steep inclined streets with steps. I have to confess, I did not realise that HongKong island was so hilly. I wandered along Hollywood Street which was a hive of activity with literally hundreds of antique shops, calling in at Man Mo Temple, one of the oldest in Hong Kong. Not only is this a tourist attraction, it also serves as centre of worship for the Hong Kong residents

I made my way to the central area and Soho. Here is the world's longest covered covered escalator which goes through Soho and up towards the mid-levels. It is packed with restaurants and bars add is really buzzing in the evening. I rode the full length of the moving stairway and then made my way towards the Peak Tram terminus. This is probably the most spectacular way to ascend to 'The Peak'. I bought my ticket and boarded the old tram for the 10 minute ride to 'The Peak. It was an incredibly steep ride and on the way up passed some of the most expensive properties on the Island. I wasn't a particularly warm day but up on the peak it must have been a good 8 egress lower. There is a sopping mall, designed to withstand winds of force 10 typhoon. There is a viewing gallery up there where you can get some good views of the city below and across to Kowloon. This was not a brilliant view today given the smog over the bay.

I returned on the tram and then had a leisurely walk to central Pier and back to Kowloon, once again on the Star Ferry late afternoon.

Having not eaten all day I decided to try one of the many street cafes in Temple street. Rather than go for the rice I tried the clay pot chicken, washed down with a large beer. It as disgusting, I'm sure it contained all the bits of the chicken that are least attractive, including the feet. I left it and made my way to MacDonald's and a healthy Big Mac with fries. On the way back to the hostel I stopped at the China Ferry terminal to book my tickets to Macau. I would catch the 9.00am ferry and return at 5.00pm.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment