Friday 18 March 2011

Hong Kong

I had to get up at some unearthly hour to to get the early morning flight to Hong Kong. The flight time was 3 hours 50 minutes and as we were flying into the Airport the pilot advised that the temperature was an arctic 15 degrees. This was going to be quite a shock to the system after living with an average temperature of 30 degrees for the last 6 months.

The airport is impressive, built on reclaimed land it relaxed the old one a number of years ago. Apparently the old airport was one of the most challenging landings anywhere in the world and the pilot needed to negotiate through skyscrapers on the approach.

I had booked my accommodation through the HostelBookers website. There is a notion that accommodation is expensive in Hong Kong, that is not necessarily true but you have to be prepared for compromising space for budget.

The details that I had received from the Las Vegas hotel was very comprehensive in terms of how to get there. I made my way to the bus station and bought my ticker for the number 21B City Bus which would take me practically to the doorstep of The impressive sounding Chungking Mansions. The Lonely Planet guide book had the following to day about the location.

"Say ' budget accommodation' and 'Hong Kong' in one breath and everyone thinks of Chungking Mansions, a place like no other in the world. This huge, ramshackle high rise dump in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui caters for all needs, from finding a bed to a curry lunch, to changing your Burmese Kyat and getting your hair cut. You may be put off by the undercurrent of sleaze and the peculiar odour of cooking fat, incense and sewerage.the buildings infamy is furled by tales both tall and true of conflagrations, crimes and unclaimed bodies, everyone should come here once."

In reality it is not that bad at all. True, as you alight for the bus and walk into the building complex with your backpack you are surrounded by undesirables offering accommodation. Closely followed by whispers of 'hashish' 'copy watches' and 'tailors'.

My home for the next five nights was the 'Las Vegas Hostel' on the 15th floor of C block. It turned out that the hostel had at least 10 different names! The room was no begged that my bathroom at home, and included a bathroom. That said, it was clean, the staff friendly and cheap by Hong Kong standards. It did make the Tune hotel in KL look like a small suite!

On arrival, I laid on my bed and before knew it was 7pm. And I was ravenous.

Nathan Road is where it all happens in Kowloon which is just across the water from Hong Kong proper. It has certain similarities to New York. All the big brands and plenty of electrical shops and cafes. Loads of shops and loads of people.

I made my way to Temple Street Night Market, supposedly a great place to browse
and get some street food from the various roadside. In many respects it is not unlike many of the other night markets I have visited in the Asian capitals I have visited in the last 6 months. It was slightly contrary that one of the banned items highlighted as you walked through customs at the airport was 'counterfeit' products and this place was actually teaming with the stuff.

I was hungry so found myself a cafe and sat down to a plate of fried rice and a large beer. The food was nit particularly good but the beer was. On the way back I stumbled upon an Irish bar which actually sold draughts Stella. I have to confess, I had one too many and stumbled back to my hotel. If the room had been big enough to have a wardrobe I may well have pissed in it......

I slept well.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Chungking Mansions, Nathan Road, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment