Saturday 4 December 2010

Back to Borneo

Coron was a loverly place, marred only by the fact that I spent the whole five days hobbling around with a foot injury caused by stepping on a bloody rusty nail on the cargo ship from El Nido to Coron.

Kipp, Jono, Andrew and myself spent the time at Sea Divers resort which, as the name suggests, is mostly frequented by divers.












All around Coron are wrecks of the Japanese fleet from World War two, very impressive they are too. I had intended to do a bit of diving but, due to my foot and advice from the doctor had to cancel. It was a shame as it sounds from the rest of the guys that I missed a treat. http://www.coronwrecks.com/history.htm



By the third day of doing nothing but taking anti biotics, eating and reading, I was starting to get a bit stir crazy. Kipp was intending to spend a couple more weeks in the Philippines and travel via Manila to Malpasa to dive with the thresher sharks.

Andrew and Jono who had a little more time were going to stop of at Boracay and sample the beautiful beaches.

I had decided that I would travel back to Koto Kinabolu via Manila on the 3rd. Spend a couple of nights in KK and then take the 10 hour bus journey from KK to Miri.

My flight on the 3rd left Coron at 10.35. At least the journey to the airport allowed me to see a little more of the county side. The islands we had visited on the five weeks tour had all been very different. Coron was no exception. Rolling hills and jungle and some beautiful vistas over the ocean and the small islands. I will miss this country, it has been a great experience and I have met some great people with some great stories.

A small prop plane took me to Manila and then a airbus to KK. The plane from Manila was delayed a few hours, it was a strange sight looking out onto the apron and seeing an airbus having a tyre changed!

The Philippines didn't disappoint with the 'hidden' costs. Within a few weeks the departure tax had risen from 500ph to 750ph! The airport was like being in a fridge. After over a month of wearing little more than shorts it was very uncomfortable. At one stage I thought I was getting frostbite. I surprised myself by winning the game onboard the Manila KK sector with three colours beginning with 'P'. If nothing else Cebu are try to make flights fun!

I arrived in KK just after 8pm and sought out some budget accommodation for the two nights I would be staying. A very helpful lady at the information dest at the airport suggested heading to 'Australia Place'. It was quite odd getting into a proper Taxi after five weeks of Tricycles. It was even odder to have to pay the equivalent of £6 for a 15 minute journey. Back to civilisation egh!

Knackered I got a room at 'Lucy's Backpacking lodge' , the first one I saw as I alighted the taxi. £18 for two nights. Much more expensive than some of the places we had stayed in but clean and included breakfast.

I will check out the bus timetable. My understanding is that the buses leave early in the morning. I'm not sure of the cost. It's probably going to be more expensive than the flight with Air Asia but it will give me a change to see the Sabah and Northern Sarawak countryside and of course, it is much better for the environment.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Coron. Palawan, Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment