Saturday 28 August 2010

I love it when a plan comes together.......

Well, after a few months of planning the itinerary is set......
I leave the UK on 8th September for KL via Dubai.
I intend to spend a couple of days in KL sightseeing before heading for Borneo and a few days with my sister before the adventure starts in earnest.
The map shows the trip.....






I will fly back to KL and then connecting flight to Singapore. A couple of nights in Singapore taking in the sights and then the overnight train from Singapore. Where practical I am avoiding air travel (my bit for the green cause).

The rail infrastructure in many parts of South East Asia is very good,and cheap. My intention is to get a series of overnight trains from Singapore, right through to Chaing Mai in northern Thailand. I will stop off for a couple of days at Butterworth for the Malaysian island of Penang and also Bangkok (political situation allowing).
After a few days in Chaing Mai I will be heading to Laos and the capital, Vientaine. I'm not too sure how I will be getting there yet, it is likely to be via bus and a land crossing of the border across the Friendship Bridge.

After Laos I will be flying to Hanoi in Vietnam. Although I want to limit my flights on the trip this appears to be the only practical way of getting into Vietnam. I can't arrive before the 1st October as that is when my 1 month visa starts.
I will spend a few days in Hanoi before travelling by bus and overnight train down the coast to Saigon. Again I will be stopping on route for a few days and having a few days in Saigon before travelling over the border by bus to Cambodia and Phnom Pehn. Another couple of nights and then hopefully a boat to Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor Wat. This, while highly visited is said to be well worth a stopover. That done I fly back to Miri on Borneo via KL before travelling up to Koto Kinabolu for a few days with my sister and the kids.

This trip takes in about 5 weeks. As I don't go back to the UK till the end of November I need to decide where to go next. Bali, India, China or the Philippines are on the list of possibles. I will decide while I am away.

As I will be travelling alone I would quite welcome some comments via the blog. I intend to take my trusty Canon SLR so there will be plenty of photographs.


Location:Main St,Carrowdore,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment