Wednesday 7 December 2011

7th December:- Three days in Bali

Kuta is not my favourite place but I was actually quite looking forward to a couple of full days there. I had found some very reasonably priced accommodation in booking.com. So everything was just fine and dandy. The flight landed on time and I made my way to pay the extortionate $25 visa on arrival charge. For some reason the immigration officer thought he would start from the back of my passport this time. Annoying !

The last time I was in Bali was 12 months ago when I went with Lesley and the kids for Christmas. This time the weather was much better. No lashing rain and thunderstorms. It was hot and sunny. I took a taxi for the short ride to Kuta which is about 10 minutes from the airport. It looks as though they are updating the rather quaint airport and the surrounding area looked rather like a building site.

My hotel was good, in an OK area, had wireless access (yipee!) and served reasonably cheap food and beer. Bali is the holiday destination for Australians going overseas. Kuta especially is rather like Benidorm. Youngsters getting pissed cheaply and it was packed. I'm afraid I'd didn't spend any time in bars or nightclubs but still had a nice time. The beach was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. I spent my first full day on the beach and the second day around the pool. Unfortunately the pull of cheap Bintang beer was too. And I was bintangoed twice waking up with a bintangover.

I met up with a Swiss backpacker and gave him some tips on his planned trip to the Philippines. He was planning to go there in the next month or so. I couldn't sell it enough. I'd loved the place.

I had booked a fan room in Bali, up to now I had not really felt the need for aircon although this place was probably the exception. It was roasting at night. Next time.

I only had three nights in Bali which, given the time of year was quite sufficient. I thought I had better get a few western clothes as most of my stuff was rather ethnic and I wasn't sure how it would go down in OZ.

I left the hotel at 7:30 on the 9th and headed to the airport. I was having a coffee in one of the many little caves and looked up to see a huge rat eyeing my Danish pastry. What is it with rats and me. They seem to follow me around.

The Air Asia flight once again had been changed. This was actually better for me as the flight now left at a sensible 10:30 and arrived in Darwin at 2:30 in the afternoon rather than the 2:00 in the morning. After my episode in Bangkok I decided to fuck the budget and booked into a hostel. I guess I had better get used to the prices in OZ. they are certainly more expensive than Asia. That said, I was a little in front of myself so no drama.

I boarded the plane, along with dozens for youths and headed for Australia and the southern hemisphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment