Sunday 25 September 2011

A well earned rest......

I'm taking a well earned break. Teaching takes it out of ya!
I've booked a weekend away at Chitwan National Park. Im here and it is beautiful. So much nicer than the hustle and bustle of KTM. It was an early start on Saturday morning. The rickety bus left Kathmandu at 7:00 am (Nepali time so it was more like 7:30!) the journey took nearly 6 hours but we passed through some lovely countryside. The $100 I paid for the three day, two night trip was a bit of a bargain. I'm sure you could do it cheaper if you tried but for the price you get accommodation, transport, food and tours.

I was supposed to be met by someone from the 'jungle safari resort' when I arrived but guess what? No one there. Fortunately there was a cab, for Nrp100 I got dropped off, arriving just after 2 I got a very nice lunch and then a trek into the jungle at 4:30. We didn't see much save a few elephants. It was very cloudy so the opportunity to sit at 'sunset point' and see a sunset was lost. I sat and had a beer anyway. The place I'm staying is nice. Looks like a first. A shower three days in a row! The evening meal was tasty and was followed by a show of traditional dancing. The Chitwan area is very different to other parts of Nepal. Very interesting place!

This morning I was up at 6:00. Breakfast at 6:30 and by 7:00 a small group of us were floating down the river passing peacocks, kingfisher, crocodiles (huge fuckers) then a walk the the government elephant breeding centre. The elephants are bred so they can work with the Nepali army patrolling the national park ensuring the population of Cheetah, Royal Bengal tiger and one horned Rhino are protected. Before lunch I spent an hour in the river bathing elephants. A brilliant experience.

This afternoon we have an elephant safari. Hopefully we will spot rhino. Maybe even a tiger. Photos to follow......


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Baadreni Rd,,Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment