Tuesday 23 March 2010

Life after BT !

29 years 303 days...... It's a long time to do anything.
I'm a bit of reflector, after nearly 30 years I have decided that perhaps the cut and thrust of corporate life is not for me and have made the very major decision to take a leaver package and move on. Don't get me wrong, I have had a fantastic time with BT, it is a great company to work for. I'm certainly leaving a much more knowledgeable person than I was when I started as a naive 20 year old.

Over the years I have met and worked with some great people. Many I would call friends.

So, what's the plan...

I'm jetting off to Belfast for the first month. My sister has a Deli business and since having a baby in December she has been run off her feet. I have offered to help and fly out on the 24th March to take up my position as a waiter in a deli bar... Sound a bit like the first line of a song ! I have negotiated a deal. Minimum wage and I get to keep my tips.

On my return I intend to get accredited in Workplace grievance mediation and hopefully pick up some part time work. I have plans to travel in the summer. Another sister lives in Borneo and I intend to base myself there for a few months and visit the sights of South East Asia. Hopefully I can make my two passions of painting and photography help pay the bills.

After that, who knows. suffice to say I won't miss the endless (often pointless) conference calls and the sniping and politicking of corporate life one bit. It's no one's fault, I guess that is just the way it is and I suspect that BT is no different to most.
I know there is no such thing as BT, it's a collection of people, transient and fluid. However if there were such a thing as BT beyond that legal entity, Thank You BT for giving me a great career, masses of knowledge that hopefully will be transferrable, introducing me to some brilliant people and allowing the opportunity to finance the next chapter.

Lets see if the plan comes together. The following blog will be a record of the next years journey. It will be light-hearted and I hope will bring a smile to the many people who have brought a smile to me over the years. You never know, it might inspire one of you to take that next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment