Tuesday 15 November 2011

15th November:- Yet another day in paradise

I don't know that it gets much better than this! Goa, at the very start of the season. Not too crowded, but at the same time not too quiet. Thinking about it, a strange mix. Holiday makers who have taken advantage of the cheaper early season packages from Europe and Russia, the fairly well to do Russians and the wanna be yoga, meditation and escapees, here for a longer stretch, they are arriving almost daily. I'm trying (very hard!) to keep myself to myself. Despite the fact that there are loads of people who "want to be friends". The german eccentric is good company, but at the same time not clingy which is good. Some of the others, especially the British tourists are a little bit in your face.

I had a rather bizarre drama last night. I'd had a read and aperitif on the balcony and wandered down to pete's shack on the beach. It's great, cheap food and a wonderful location. Looking out to see. Ernest appeared and we had a drink, I tried the Feni, it comes in two flavours, coconut and cashew, I had one of each. I retired at a reasonable time, no later than 9:00. After laying on my four-poster, under the mosquito net and reading a couple of chapters of my book (there is a wonderful library here!) I got up to go to the loo. As I walked across the small room I became very light headed. The next thing I know I'm on the floor. I can only assume I passed out but in doing so hit by head, rather hard it seems, on the wall and quite possibly knocked myself unconscious. I can only remember coming too and struggling to get up. No blood was spilt but I suspect I gave myself a mild concussion as I've still got a quite severe headache and really had to take it steady today. I've wisely kept out of the sun, indeed, only straying out to get a spot of lunch, some rags and a coke for my sunset ritual a small drink on the balcony.

I'm glad I've stumbled across this place. It makes an excellent change from lugging a backpack around from one dirty tourist destination to another. My original plan was to head back to New Delhi on the 29th. I'm not sure why, it would have been a bit rushed to try and get to Amritsar and back and Delhi is not awash with things to do, plus it's quite expensive.

I suspected that to change my flight would be expensive. Not the case. I looked at travelling back on the early 4th December flight and it would have cost me 2600 rupees extra, the day before however gave me a refund of nearly 800 rupees. The deal is done. I will stay on Candolim till the 3rd. Get some accommodation by the airport and then jump on the flight to Bangkok on the evening of the 4th. While the timing is not brilliant for returning to Thailand, the flight leaves ND at 23:30 and arrives at 05:15, I do have a premium seat on row one so at least get an opportunity to sleep. My flight from BKK to Denpasar in Bali leaves the following day at 06:15. I'm even toying with the idea of staying in the airport as I have three days in Bali to recover from the travelling. I'll see how I feel. Being to be up early and at the airport for 3:00 is making a stay at the airport attractive!

The plans once in OZ have changed somewhat. Matt is starting work in Leigh Creek a week earlier than was originally planned. My original plan was to overnight in Darwin then fly to Sydney and on to Dubbo. That would have involved a 9 hour drive to Leigh creek. Not a huge problem as there would have been two of us to share the driving. Because of the earlier start date I will now fly from Sydney to Adelaide and Matt will meet me there. We will overnight there and then make the 3 or 4 hour drive to Leigh creek on the 11th. In some ways it is good as Matt will have settled in at work. He also has three days, albeit alone, to make the drive from New South Wales to Leigh Creek. I have to admit, I was quite looking forward to the 'road trip' but there is plenty of time for that when he finishes in the middle of January.

Apologies to those who like photos! I do have them and will post them on the site as soon as I get a decent Internet connection, hopefully in OZ.

For the time being, back to relaxing, great food and sun. Thank god I'm starting to lose the waif like appearance and look normal. I guess the danger, with another three weeks here, I could tip up in Australia being a fat bastard.. I'll try my best (he says swigging another mouthful of Old Monk rum and full fat coke, while shoving a handful of crisps into his gob).

The blog updates are likely to be less numerous and interesting than previously, who wants to know what flavour curry I've had today and how hot it is in Goa. That said, with another three weeks I may well do some excursions. I also may not......


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Candolim, Goa, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment